Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Do What You Love

I've been following Pacing the Panic Room for awhile, just in awe of his style and editing capabilities. His "Walk To 40 Weeks" series just brings a smile to my face each time I go back to look at it; the emotions just pour through the lens in a way not everyone can honestly capture. I don't really photograph people much, though I started to branch out a bit this summer at the stables. Something about cowboy hats automatically turns most photos into something a lot more interesting. Anyway, he's been doing a rather inspiring series lately called "Do What You Love". That, combined with (finally) finding and reading the entire webcomic series of Jeph Jaques' Questionable Content, who is constantly thanking his readers for allowing him to be a full-time artist, working on something he loves, it's gotten me to thinking. How many people out there are truly doing what they love?

I consider myself pretty lucky to be doing what I love. Being a consultant for Passion Parties (R) has been probably the most unexpectedly rewarding things I've found myself involved with yet. I'm not just a "sex toy" lady, as the stereotype goes. Instead, I've gotten involved with a company and product line that addresses a few rather basic, and key, areas of essentially everyone's life: sex and money. The most common reason relationships (married or otherwise) tend to devolve isn't due to a lack of love in many (most) cases, it's boredom. I give tips and tricks on how to bring that spark back, even if it's just on how to restart the conversations between you and your partner. With every party that I do, with every product that I sell, I'm helping that person in at least one way. You'd be amazed at what regular satisfaction can do for a person's psyche, self-esteem, health, etc. There's also the money aspect of it for those who have chosen to become a part of the team, whether it's mine or someone elses. In these times, even just a little bit of extra cash can go a long ways towards keeping down the stress levels. And hey, there's nothing wrong with being able to honestly write off a trip to Vegas as a business expense, right? Right. Viva Conventions!

Yes, that was as shameless business promotion. Lawl.

Not to mention, being a consultant has given me the scheduling flexibility I need to really get involved with what I love: Dogs. Rescue. Photography. A combination of all three. I've been doing some fundraising photoshoots over the last few weeks in addition to helping out with transports where I can. I've been learning a lot as far as some technical stuff goes, such as "work with familiar lenses and never try to shoot in an art gallery that strives for a warm feeling." Having wood floors that are the same hue as the walls and a black ceiling wreaks utter havoc on lighting and dogs don't hold still long enough to be able to work with a low shutter speed. I also don't have a fancy enough camera at the moment to be able to jack up the ISO to compensate without introducing some noise, but I managed ok. I very much prefer to work outside.



 There were a few rouge Brussels Griffon in attendance as well, both loving owned and those hoping for a new home.



The end result is good, however: about $700 was raised for Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue and Front Range German Shepherd Rescue !

Yesterday I was the resident photographer for the joint meetup between the Littleton Pug and Boston Terrier groups; Mid America Boston Terrier Rescue and Colorado Pug Rescue were also there with some of their kids needing homes.

Like this adorable gal...

Dozer and his chariot of fire

CPR tied little ribbons around their dogs, so they were rather easy to spot. MABTR was a little more difficult to pick out who was there with their foster parent and who was there just to tear it up. One thing about Bostons, they make the most excellent derp faces.

"Herp derp!"

I just like how the guy on the left is like "C'mon, really, dude?"


And of course, there was a random smattering of other random small dogs. Like the ever adorable French Bulldog, Beignet, and her fellow posse. You may recognize Beignet if you've seen my portfolio.



Most of these guys were born deaf and usually amble around wearing a little cowbell so their owner can keep track of them. She had the most adorable addition this time, another little Frenchie pup, whom she took back from a Boston Terrier show breeder after the lady complained that the Frenchie "didn't act like her Bostons."

I'll give you a second to let that sink in, or the screams die down, which ever.

People like that make me want to commit some sort of criminal offense for a number of reasons. A) There are enough dogs in rescue for stupid, preventable reasons ("I just got this 50lb dog two days ago and found out that my landlord only allows dogs up to 25lbs. And I'm moving.").

B) It's getting hard enough for the good, legit, responsible breeders--and they DO exist--to continue doing what they love and pour their heart, soul and savings account into, without help from jerkoffs like the above.

C) Is it really so hard to do a little research before getting a new dog? I mean, REALLY? Just because a breed is in the same weight range and has a similar body type, doesn't mean the personalities are going to be alike.

In general, just do some legwork before getting a dog. Herding dogs are going to run around and bark. Retrievers are going to chew and shed. Danes are going to grow to be the size of small ponies. Five seconds of Googling could save everyone a lot of time, trouble and money.

Ok, rant over paused. I could go on for quite some time about the utterly stupid things I've seen and heard and I'm not even on the hardcore front lines of rescue/shelter work. So instead, because it is 1am and I have a rather business-y day ahead of me tomorrow (hooray for creating customer mailing lists!), I will leave you with the picture of a very happy Aussie and his early Christmas haul, courtesy of a very special--and not so secret--Santa type person.


 He's already demolished half a bully stick and has decided the shark is his new favorite.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, some people are such idiots. Great video! It's funny in a slightly depressing way. Glad Sawyer likes his gifts. That is such a cute picture.

    ReplyDelete